How to choose optimal workouts to lose weight
A well-designed weight loss program combines cardio, strength training, and high-intensity interval training. This integrated approach encourages the body to use fat for energy instead of burning muscle tissue.
This type includes prolonged physical activity of low or moderate intensity.
Running, walking, stepper training gently increases heart rate and does not exhaust the body. At the same time, work is carried out on the pulse of “fat burning” – the rhythm of the heart, in which the process of burning fat begins.
A slow pace and simple exercises allow you to work with any body weight and at any training level. So, if you’re new to fitness, have decided to lose weight, but aren’t ready for intense exercise, it makes sense to start with cardio.
In this case, the following conditions must be taken into account:
- The process of “consumption” of fats does not begin immediately, but 30-40 minutes after the start of classes, then you need to train for at least 50-60 minutes.
- Calories are consumed only during exercise, and to lose weight you need to exercise long and often.
Strength training for weight loss is done with weights or with your own body weight. Strength and endurance exercises promote the growth of muscle tissue, which increases metabolic rate.
The benefit of strength training is that not only does it help with weight loss, but it also provides relief by keeping the figure lean and toned.
Remember that the body takes longer to regenerate after energy loads than after cardio, so activate energy loads no more than 2 or 3 times a week.
High-intensity training is based on alternating stress and rest peaks. Changing the intensity and speed of exercise with short breaks intensively burns fat tissue. Growth hormones and catecholamines rise. At the same time, by stimulating the burning of excess fat, they work in such a way that muscle mass does not undergo catabolism (destruction).
In addition to the fact that the training itself requires a large expenditure of energy, performing a complex of intensive fat-burning exercises accelerates metabolic processes. In addition, the metabolism works at full speed 24 hours after training.
High-intensity exercise uses a lot of energy and lasts 10 to 30 minutes. During this time, your body burns more calories than an hour and a half of cardio. However, beginners and those with a high body weight should not start with interval training. The body must be prepared for significant loads. We recommend that you do high-intensity exercise if you are in good physical condition.
Features of fat burning workouts
The main goal of fat burning training is to force your body to use fat for energy, not muscle. It’s also important not to overdo it, lest after fat storage those hard-earned muscles burst into flames.
Weight loss exercises should be tailored to your physical condition and be fun. Otherwise the training can be terminated.
You have to work all over your body. While you focus on burning fat in the problem area, do not forget about the rest. It is impossible to lose weight locally – only from the waist or only from the hips. The weight loss process affects the whole body. In addition, the muscles must be trained in a balanced way in order to avoid postural disorders, postural asymmetries and overloading of the musculoskeletal system.
You can practice anytime. In the morning, your metabolism increases, which is the main reason why it is recommended to do fat burning exercises before breakfast. But evening courses also have advantages. Nighttime exercise increases fat metabolism and helps stabilize blood sugar.
By exhausting them through exercise, they burn muscle instead of fat and have health problems. After all, a strong muscular corset is not just about strength, harmony and beauty. It is above all a healthy spine, joints and the proper functioning of all body systems.
Whether you work out at home or at the gym, you should definitely have a weight loss workout plan in place.
How to start – tips for beginners
- The question “How much exercise do you need to lose weight?” Not correct. The result depends on the initial weight and individual characteristics, frequency, duration and intensity of training, nutrition.
- Remember to start the workout with a warm-up (rotations of the head, arms, hands, body, knees, push-ups, jumps) to warm up your muscles and avoid injury.
- Finish on the hitch – a little stretching, self-massage on a special roller, walking after running.
- If you have never exercised, start your basic aerobic workout with 10 minutes and gradually increase the duration from 5 minutes to 40-45 minutes.
- To get the effects and not feel overworked, try to exercise 3-4 times a week, remembering to take breaks between workouts. Create an exercise plan to lose weight.
- Follow the technique of execution and try to do everything to the maximum, do not skimp.
- Learn to maintain the same moderate-intensity pace throughout your workout and not break it up with long breaks. We walk, rest for 10-60 seconds, repeat.
- Go beyond training. Walk, bike, skate, scooter. Set your daily rhythm of steps or kilometers – and “walk” consciously. Try yoga and Pilates. Make exercise a part of your life.
- Drink a glass of water just before your workout, take a few sips during your workout, and don’t forget to replenish your fluids after your workout.
Workout program for weight loss
Full body workout
- Squats or leg presses 2-3 sets x 6-8 reps per set
- Romanian deadlift or hamstrings 1-2 x 6-8,
- Bench Press or Incline Press 2-3 x 6-8,
- Horizontal pull-ups in blocks or pull-ups 2-3 x 6-8,
- Swing sideways with dumbbells 1-2 x 8-10,
- 1-2 x 8-10 bicep exercises,
- Tricep Exercises 1-2 x 8-10,
- Twist in a press with a weight of 1-2 x 6-8,
- Hyperextension 1-2 x 6-8.
Separate interval training (“top-down”)
- Bench press 2-3×6-8,
- Horizontal pull-ups or 2-3×6-8 pull-ups,
- 1-2×8-10 page scale,
- Biceps 1-2×8-10,
- Triceps 1-2×8-10.
- Squat or leg press 2-3×6-8,
- Romanian deadlift 2-3 x 6-8,
- Sock lifter with rod 2-3×6-8,
- Rotation weighing 2-3×6-8,
- 2-3×6-8 hyperextensions.
Stick to the types of exercise you choose during your diet. Get enough protein of all kinds. Do not give preference only to cottage cheese and chicken breasts.
It’s better to lift more weight with fewer reps than the other way around.
If you want to do cardio, 20 minutes post-workout is too much for you.